A healthy summer glow can’t always be achieved through makeup alone; it often starts by prepping your skin. Here are five ways you can achieve radiant skin this summer.
1. Follow a Skin Care Routine
Creating and consistently following a sensitive skin care routine, customized for your skin type, can do wonders for your skin. This is especially true in the summer, when you’re most likely exposed to more sun and humidity.
Consider taking the following steps:
- Cleanser: If you have acne-prone or oily skin, opt for cleansers that contain hyaluronic or benzoyl peroxide, as these regulate oil production. For those with dry skin, lactic acid can increase the skin’s natural moisture.
- Toner: The main function of a toner is to remove any impurities that have accumulated in your pores overnight, such as dirt or oil. It can also tighten the skin and minimize the appearance of pores.
- Antioxidant Serum: The next step in your skin care routine should be an antioxidant serum, which is perfect for all skin types due to its ability to protect against environmental pollutants and neutralize damage caused by UV rays.
- Eye Cream: This step can reduce the appearance of crow’s feet and dark circles as well as maintain the thickness of the eyelid skin.
- Moisturizer: Applying moisturizer regularly can protect your skin against harsh environmental conditions, such as pollution, wind and direct sunlight.
- Sunscreen: There are two types of sunscreen: physical and chemical. Dermatologists recommend using a physical sunscreen, which uses ingredients that sit on top of your skin and reflect UV rays. Chemical sunscreens absorb and transform UV rays into heat, but they won’t absorb well into the skin once you’ve applied moisturizer. Make sure that your sunscreen contains titanium dioxide and zinc, the active ingredients that shield against UV rays.
2. Stay Hydrated
Did you know that your skin is your largest organ? This is why it’s essential to keep it hydrated by drinking the recommended amount of water each day. Dehydration prevents your skin from shedding its outer layer, causing dead cells to sit on the surface and make it appear dull and dry. This can also clog your pores or cause fine lines.
Drinking plenty of fluids flushes out toxins from the body, which can promote soft, supple skin. If you’re having trouble eight glasses of water a day, try supplementing with other hydrating drinks, such as smoothies, energy drinks or chamomile tea.
3. Get Enough Sleep
Sleeping may not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think about glowing skin; however, your skin sheds its cells to reveal newer, fresher skin underneath when you’re asleep. In addition, your skin produces collagen, a protein that has been shown to make the skin appear plumper and prevent sagging.
It’s important that you get at least seven hours of sleep at night in order to reap these benefits. As you may already know from experience, lack of sleep can result in puffy eyes, dull skin and dark circles.
4. Eat a Healthy Diet
Even if you take care of your skin and apply the best makeup products, your skin will reveal itself if you don’t eat a healthy diet. The food you put into your body reflects in your skin, which is why it’s so important to eat a nutrient-rich diet full of fruits, vegetables, fiber and whole grains. On the other hand, if you snack on foods high in sugar or saturated fat, you’re more likely to experience breakouts or signs of premature aging. Some of the best foods for glowing skin include:
- Sweet potatoes
- Nuts and seeds
- Red or yellow bell peppers
You may know that exercising improves your cardiovascular health, but did you know that it can also benefit your skin? Exercising increases blood flow throughout the body and carries away free radicals and other waste products, which can nourish the cells and promote radiant, glowy skin. Even exercising for 30 minutes a day is enough to see improvements in your skin.
The way in which you live your life is reflected in your skin, which means that you can achieve the radiant skin you desire if you make smart choices. Following these five tips can give you healthy, glowing skin.