Combining serious style and an extraordinary driving experience, the Mazda CX 5 has long been one of Australia’s top-selling mid-size SUVs.
Is this car really worth the hype?
Let’s find out!
Think attractive, sporty, and fashionable, this car doesn’t tend to disappoint.
The front of the CX features slender, slit headlights and a wider grille with a subtle dome-shaped bonnet. The rear spoiler and dual exhausts complement the sporty aesthetic.
The Mazda CX 5 2022 dimensions measure 4575 mm long, 1845 mm wide and 1675 mm tall, along with a 2700 mm wheelbase.
Sleek, simple and stylish.
The spacious 5-seater cabin beautifully incorporates high-end materials, from black suede to pure white leather. Not to mention the front and back outboard seats can be heated for maximum comfort.
Even with its wide range of features, the dashboard and central console look effortlessly clean and uncluttered.
The CX 5 offers multiple storage options as well as a generous 442-litre boot space (with the rear seats up), and a convenient, powered tailgate – suiting the needs of all drivers and families.
Countless reviewers love the driving experience that the CX 5 has to offer.
Choose from the following powerful engines:
- 2-litre naturally-aspirated 4-cylinder petrol engine (115 kW and 200 Nm of torque)
- 2.5-litre naturally-aspirated 4-cylinder petrol engine (140 kW and 252 Nm of torque)
- 2.5-litre 4-cylinder turbo petrol engine (170 kW and 420 Nm of torque)
- 2.2-litre twin-turbo four-cylinder diesel engine (140 kW and 450 Nm of torque)
The Mazda CX 5 comes in both front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive, with either automatic or six-speed manual transmission.
The latest model vehicle has a maximum towing capacity of 1800kg.
This vehicle is known to have great handling and a decent suspension.
The fuel economy varies based on the different models:
- 2-litre petrol engine: 6.9 litres per 100 km
- 2.5-litre petrol engine: 7.4 litres per 100 km
- Turbo petrol engine: 8.2 litres per 100 km
- Diesel engine: 5.7 litres per 100 km
All the versions have built-in idle stop/start technology, and all the petrol models run on 9 RON regular unleaded fuel.
Some tech highlights of the Mazda CX 5 include:
- An impressive full-colour infotainment display screen (8″ in the lower models and 10.25″ in the high-end Akera model) with MZD Connect, compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- A digital radio
- A customisable driver info screen, so that you can choose to display only what you find relevant
- Keyless locking
- A pushbutton start
- Dual climate control (specifically in the higher models)
- Rear and surround-view cameras
- A variety of safety features (see below)
With a wide variety of autonomous and physical safety features, the Mazda CX 5 achieved a five-star ANCAP rating.
All models in the range include an array of safety elements:
- Dual front as well as side chest and head airbags
- Self-activating braking (driving forward or reversing) with pedestrian recognition
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Rear cross-traffic alerting
- Lane exiting warning
- Lane-keep assist
- Driver focus alert
- Automatic high-beam
- Adjustable cruise control with stop or go
- Tail parking sensors
- Tyre pressure monitors
For the latest 2022 models, the cheapest, most basic Mazda CX 5 starts out at $31,390 and it goes all the way up to $53,680 for the high-end cars in the range. (At the time of writing this article.)
Prices are currently between $1000 and $1500 higher across the CX range.
Mazda guarantees a 5-year, limitless-kilometre warranty and a full 5 years of roadside assist.
What Are the Mazda CX 5’s Competitors?
Similar cars to the Mazda CX 5 are:
- Hyundai Tucson
- Volkswagen Tiguan
- Toyota RAV4
- Kia Sportage
Who Should Drive The Mazda CX-5?
No matter if you’re young or old, a fairly new driver or one with extensive experience, the Mazda CX 5 is the perfect pick if you want style, space, and a simple interior with a sensible layout.
It’s also particularly suited to families with children.
If you’re on the hunt for a stylish new car, the Mazda CX 5 won’t disappoint – being the sales leader in the mid-size-SUV sector for the past few years.
With convenient high-tech features, exceptional safety measures, a comfortable interior and an awesome driving experience, this popular SUV proves to be worth the investment.